Coffee Culture

We cannot deny that retail coffee stores have been on the rise in the last two to three years, with newer chains opening such as Pret and 200° popping up all over the country. With that, I am going to review and critique the assorted coffee shops available on the high street...



Starbucks

Okay, so their drinks are loaded with sugar and they are tax dodging mo-fos... enough said. They are possibly the biggest coffee chain in the world, strong American enterprise with a laid back atmosphere, predominantly aimed at business people and students... From my experience, the staff are somewhat brutal, with their systematic ordering process, although they try to personalise your visit by asking for your name then scribbling it on the cup. The food isn't bad, in fact it is rather tasty but waaaaay over - priced. Can't deny that they are an excellent pick me up when you're feelin' blue. I rate them an 8/10.

Costa

Costa and me have a deep relationship. I have resided in Costa for discipleship, romantic encounters and job interviews. They claim to be the biggest coffee franchise in the UK. Their coffee is Fairtrade which is a bonus for you conscious folk, and according to my research the employees are treated kindly, like a family. The competition is high and I think their drinks are diluted fairly but the theme of the interior design could do with a re-vamping. I particularly enjoy their 'coolers' and the biscuits are a special treat. 7/10.




Caffe Nero

Nero is quite sentimental for me, as I used to meet a Youth Group here on Wednesday afternoon. Their cakes and customer service wins me over every time. Traditionally Italian and a family favourite, I believe that Nero's is a good place to go alone or with company. Sure I believe they're not as pretentious as the previous two venues mentioned, but their integrity is rather dominant, however the staff are not so meticulous. 5/10. If their staff get their heads out of their arse then I would become a regular once more. Check the blending quality of this... very lumpy solids at the bottom 👎


Greggs

Considering they are not primarily advertised as a coffee merchant, their drink have to be of outstanding value in relation to their rivalry. I love Gregg's sausage rolls (although I am trying to be a vegan/vegetarian) and their other baked goods are all made fresh, alongside the sandwiches. The staff are exceptional. On point, efficient and patient. I stand there like, "erm I don't know what I want" and they are very professional. Not pretentious... Family and community oriented, therefore affordable. They have a selection from Latte, Americano and your standard flat white coffee @ £1.50 + a pop - but with the market as it is, the prices are on the increase. Keep it real and use Greggs for a strong, Fairtade cuppa. 8/10.

Pret A Manager

Its got a fancy name... They are growing all over the UK. They are employing new staff, which means trainee Baristas and professional development programmes. They are conscious and actively promoting organic produce and make that evident on the packaging, they also welcome constructive feedback wholeheartedly. I recommend the muffins. The coffee is of exceptional quality and the staff are polite and hard working. The setting itself is cosy and versatile. 8/10. If they had more emphasis on the organic produce, they would get a flood of interest. They are also offering unlimited coffee for £20pcm to subscribers, I'm hoping to join the hype, ASAP!



200° Coffee

Perhaps the name in itself is enticing enough, since boiling point is 100°, it suggests that this is twice as hot as your regular coffee bar. I absolutely love the interior design. It is unique, rustic and something to be explored. They offer courses in coffee making and the staff truly seem to enjoy their craft. It is of a reasonable price, in comparison to the other shops, you get a vibe that is less conservative than the others but remains sharp with personality and an edge. Also Fairtrade produce. 9/10.



Now have your self a strong cup of Coffee on Me ;)