Siblings Shop

This weekend we decided to explore family favourite, high street fashion stores to browse through the ultimate buys influencing fashion enthusiasts, as new inventories were gradually released...




Our adventures started in Topshop - it remains one of the nation's most popular destinations for trends and has a particularly niche target market, that generalises in the 'preppy' generation / geek chic.

We realised there wasn't a lot of discounted stock, and we recognised reoccurring statements from last year, such as the scallop edged tops, and the more recent hype, turtle neck tops, that felt more in tune with the season.

1950's flaired hems that exhibit feministic expressions, emphasising young ladies frames, hence their malleable material and stretchy soft fabric, such as polyester, acrylic and lyocell.




Edgy and bright, we love the white and orange, our chief summer shades





We wandered over to the jewellery stands, when I began to waffle-on to my sister about alternative beliefs. You can find these enigmatic symbols online and in store POS, a proportion of brands have been releasing plenty of designs featuring imagery which behold Evangelistic influence. Whether this is an intentionally subliminal, in context, to propagate some secret agenda to subtly communicate religious convention. Girls such as my sister, and younger (early teens) are exposed to these messages that inevitably appear all over the media wherever we investigate - look at Katy Perry for example.


Her music videos also allure us with iconography like the Eye of Providence; dainty necklaces including the Hamsa hand and an eye such as the one that celebrities appear to endorse in their campaigns.

According to the historical references available, can we presume that the impression upon the public is impartial and not of an austere directive especially to young people who may not be aware of their origins. Then again, it might just be an affirmation to resolve any doubts from other sources.

I have conceived my own connotations for further analysis, and perhaps there is some discreet sub-conscious advertising, for the sake of marketing strategy. Some of which is sought out by consumers in aspiration that they will attain a replication to those who are facsimile.

I am probably getting too deep about it but it is there before our eyes and hard to ignore the similarities. On the other hand, it could be purely fun and educational, since if the curiosity of the purchaser inquisites the meaning behind it all, then sure enough they can easily find the answers in the age of information via online resources. Personally speaking, I just find it fascinating how this stuff sells if it does not have sentimental value behind it... I digress.





Food for thought!




These pretty gemstone rings have an aura of tribalism, this also relates to ancient folklore of magic qualities of the stones. For example, it is said that wearing a Rose Quartz empowers love and in metaphysics it is stated that it's vibrational frequencies are very much a real phenomena. The concept of magic itself is a frightening one, since these supernatural superstitions may be used in a negative light; again that is probably just my pessimism leaking through my article here, so my apologies! It's a good thing I didn't scaremonger my sister too bad on that idea.


Metallic and Pastel/Earth Tones are set to be big this Spring



It has happened... grunge rocker ripped jeans are back on the shop floors. If you're feeling crafty, get an old razor and gently rub across the material of your old jeans for the same effect. Unless you are desperate for precision or lack a creative flair, then granted. Though usually if I find an item that I like which I wish to buy yet it has a fault or requires alterations, you'll hear me at the checkouts demanding a discount nonetheless...

I do have an attention to detail and I do appreciate the worked look, but with all due respect, for this certain air I would seek genuine articles which are worn from charity or vintage outlets. Even a thorough eBay search may tantalise your efforts to find that perfect 'distressed' denim. I like acid wash/bleach effect denim also; I do in fact have an old GAP jacket which was handed on to me by a friend, which has a very rebellious feel. It's good that TOPSHOP have provided this style as an option, but for me, I'd rather keep my knees covered and let the jeans wear themselves out over time!


Reminds me of that very sad day my beloved Jane Norman's split at the crotch... I'll never get over that. You know, that pair of jeans you wear almost every day, they look like they were made for you and it's as if you were born with them on, then one day you notice how dated they've become and they're literally falling apart or they're losing their stretch from the millionth wash; if you're like me, you're climbing over a fence and that's the end of that (!)

I hate buying jeans because of manufacturing differences. No woman is exactly the same size or shape so it's hard to supply impeccably fitting jeans to the masses of women who come and try them on. It's a case of having to shop around. From experience I realise that TOPSHOP are quite small sizing.


Dino-Jumper is a Lust-have on my Sister's Wishlist!



We popped into OFFICE a few doors down to check out these New Balance that 'everyone' is grabbing off the shelves recently and that my sister is determined to eventually get her hands on. Rounded up to £60 a pair, I would have thought that they would at least be waterproof... I believe they are suede and as you can see here (and online) come in a variety of colours (which is a bonus I suppose because that means you're less likely to see identical feet all over the place and gives room for individuality)

They are a lightweight shoe, with a nice sole on them, and are clearly street-wise cool. I sense that the design appeals to both genders and their branding consists of a hip Americans promoting active lifestyle. I couldn't help mentioning to my sister about the necessity of being aware that the manufacturing of the product may not be entirely made in USA but all the same the shoes would hopefully be of lasting quality and versatile with many outfits. 


River Island displayed the same trends, I couldn't help admire the layout of the new store in Victoria Centre and it's bright and spacious appearance.


I do in fact have a very similar coat to that on the bottom right hand corner of the image. Mine is however from Primark in the sale at only £10 and I have had many compliments already, although here is River Island's version with slightly different tailoring and the texture is more detailed as it has a mild embroidered pattern all over. I think they are smart and very lady-like. (Search Duster Coats)

Khaki and lace still going strong, and nautical stripes I don't think will ever be out of fashion.

Swiftly moving on to a smaller and independently owned store upstairs in Vic Centre, called West Coast, we browsed some one-off pieces and I was taken by surprise with their intricate patterns, embellishment pieces, and at a bargain price. There was evening wear including neon brights, floor length dresses and sophisticated tops.





Lunch To Go and onto Primark. My sister doesn't live near the city any more so when she comes to visit we make sure to pop round all the biggest high street stores on offer as she doesn't get that opportunity very often, unlike myself! First thing that jumps out at me, is bohemian mod, prominent reds, and lots of hippie/spiritual vibes with dainty floral and big splashes of it too as seen here on the left. There is so much to look at in Primark that it takes an awful long time to see every thing on offer and with their huge demand it is expected that stocks will often run low in the best selling items. I found a really cute crochet top and a top with a cross on it with roses weaving around the emblem. (Again, crosses are becoming popular again, and according to my aunt this is a Pagan symbol, yet I have much more research on that topic to investigate) 



There is a mixture of motifs and designs in Primark at the moment and a lot of items are now in Sale

I love these floral peep toe chunky heel in the middle with the ankle strap. After all, they are perfect for summer days and nights, I guess it depends how you want to wear them. They would still look fine with skinny jeans, but I can imagine teamed with a pencil skirt or a dress using one or two colours from the shoes themselves, would collaborate a mature but elegant look.



I couldn't help myself but take a quick snap of this tee. Again, yellow is a big Spring trend if you can pull it off, but alas, here is that hand again. I do not believe that every customer who enters Primark will know what this symbol is unless they are a)into religious studies or b)following a religion which references this symbol and c)took time out of their daily lives to find out.
I think it's very intriguing that Primark would market something like this in the first place. I do not condemn it though.





This is Harriet's Boutique, a discreet underground shop you'll find next to Shakeaway on Market Square. These are my cherry-picks that I really fancied...






We were running out of time as it was getting late into the afternoon and business was closing for the day. We dashed into New Look for a peek at Generation 915. The line is aimed at girls 8-15 and my sister age just creeping over the latter of that, caused a slight alarm to us how much time had passed in our lives already! I couldn't help giggle in amusement, at the quoted tops.
 ..."Oh yeah, I get it."
I also found this entertaining, besides... what rules!?