Office Wear Woes

As for the upcoming interviews I've had to prepare for over the last couple of weeks, have meant that I've had to furiously scout out the best conservative modes I could possibly collaborate in order to impress my potential employers.

With my music enhancing my ego through my head, via the Cash Generator headphones, I purchased for a mere £5 (with a forest green punch) and a pace ready to take on Usain Bolt, I braced myself for the agonising task of finding suitable work wear.

In terms of Law Of Attraction, if I conscientiously determine that I will inevitably be awarded with the job I want, and affirm that as a fact despite having not yet arrived at that reality, I must pray positively to 'Spirit' that it has already been granted for me... then the law says it must be true! Anyway, I can develop on that theory at another time, and probably another dimension come then; they say don't run before you can walk! Let's get back to business...

It is true a few years ago when I was briefly out of employment (part-time), I had taken myself down to the the job centre (DWP JCP) and they offered to fund my interview wear via voucher, since at the time I was fortunate enough to take part in a scheme with Arcadia (owners of major chain stores on the high street) this included Dorothy Perkins, who I later ended up working for, ironically.

I also obtained a nylon burgundy blazer, and a transparent creame toned blouse, which I later wore to interviews teamed with my dark navy skinny jeans. Smart casual is as a rule, generally accepted by most employers.




This particular shirt is from TOPSHOP and very similar to the one I have worn to dozens of interviews with great success



Teamed up with this blazer is a guaranteed sophisticated office look


As you can imagine, the way we look is not the be all and end all when finding a job, or when starting in a new workplace. It does however, become impressionable when we suddenly alter the way we dress, or make a special effort to wear clothing which is suitable to our industry and to represent the nature of the environment or silently express our sincerity in discreet.

The recent roles I had been accepted in were Retail, the latest being Sales for a Direct Marketing company; I wanted something to stand out and opted for a duck egg blue shirt from Primark, which material had some weight. Supposedly, this colour has a subconscious effect on the observer that entices a sense of trust, and qualities of loyalty and tranquility; therefore it signals to the employer that these positive qualities come with the person wrapped in this colour!

Imagine the sheer Topshop blouse, but in a blue duck egg colour - I must admit I was inexplicably surprised by the quality of the Primark blouse against the Topshop one. Although half the sale price, the top is equally, if not better material. Though buttons often become loose very soon after I purchase them in Primark, the Topshop shirt has lasted many washes and remained mostly in tact, with little signs of wear.

Frantically rushing around every high street store, investigating despondently for a half adequate looking office attire that is passable at an interview, I knew that my attitude and persona at the event would assure me my future, ultimately.

If you have the time, energy and money, I would recommend finding a stylist or visual merchandiser, just go in store and ask about any tailored looks to emphasise your best features, taking a fair amount of time to create a nice outfit. In the long run, it will benefit you for not only work opportunities, but the meetings you may be required to attend relating to the business, that you can alter and coordinate with other pieces from your current wardrobe!