Sweetcorn Ethics

It is not surprising to feel a little bit disappointed when we throw out food that has turned defective and not suitable for human consumption. This is because of the amount of waste we produce in Britain has been rising due to our consumerist lifestyle lead by a capitalist society. We simply throw away things with out a second thought. We do not acknowledge that our minor actions have a great collective effect on the environment and over the course of time we are gradually incurring an energy crisis that is very taxing on millions of families across the UK.

Therefore it brings me a lot of disdain when I find my self, philosophising over a stick of corn on the cob, commiserating about where it came from, how it was provided and whether or not I should continue to cook with it, since it smells very funky, frankly. I cannot tell if this is a metaphor for unnecessary anxiety or literally a test of my intelligence and Earthy - morale, so it brings me no pleasure in decision making, especially when it concerns my personal health, and the time and labour of others to help me, from a spiritual perspective.

Hypothetically, I could bang it in the microwave and hope it kills any nasty bacteria, and simply enjoy the sweetcorn as much as it is possible to do so given its unfreshness, and pray that I reap something beneficial. It grows spontaneously from a plant in the ground, so its not like it won't biodegrade upon returning its nutrients to the ground. If people were more conscious then they may make more effective considerations for recycling food in a greener way; throwing it into a compost heap or in the back yard for the animals to get their teeth into.

Even if I do boil the sweetcorn, there is no guarantee that it will be edible. (Unless I lather it in butter or vinegar I suppose)

As for me, I feel that I am not going to eat the sweetcorn on this occasion. It is where my common sense is directing me.



"Would you eat this?" A question of standards or cerebral pettiness...?
Its 2 weeks past its best before date.